Crash of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17
- 1Primary sources
- 5Satellite Imagery
- 8Legal responsibility
- Russia shoots down Malaysian MH17
- Сбитый малайзийский боинг-777 (пост обновляется)(Downed Malaysian Boeing 777)
- Russia airs conspiracy theories over MH17 tragedyCompilation of Russian newspaper stories and claims - second jet, Putin's plane, surface-to-air, air-to-air, etc.
- Russian Defense Ministry records Ukrainian missile defense radar on day of Boeing crash, ITAR-TASS, July 18, 2014
- The stretch of the flight route of the Boeing 777 airliner of Malaysia Airlines and the site of its crash were within the zone of operation of two Ukrainian batteries of the S-200 long-range anti-aircraft missile system and three squadrons of the Buk-M1 medium-range anti-aircraft missile system, the press service of the Russian Defense Ministry told ITAR-TASS on Friday.
- "Russian radio-technical facilities during July 17 were recording the work of the 9s18 Kupol radar station of the Buk-M1 squadron, stationed in the area of the Styla settlement (30 km south of Donetsk)," the ministry added.
- The ministry stressed that technical features of the Buk-M1 air defense system allow it to exchange information between the squadrons of one battalion. "Thus, the launch of the missiles could also be made from all the squadrons, located in the Avdeyevka settlement (8 km north of Donetsk) or in Gruzsko-Zaryanskoye (25 km east of Donetsk)," Russian Defense Ministry stressed.
- Witness testimony. A BBC Russia report, which was deleted by the BBC after it was published, but stayed available onyoutubeand was widely discussed on the internet, was republished after two dayswith a justificationpointing to technicalities and mentioning "a lot of comments" they received over the deletion. It provides significant witness testimony from local inhabitants taken soon after the event that low (and apparently slow) flying military planes were seen in the area at the time of the accident; some hand waving gestures were made by witnesses suggesting from where and to where those planes were flying. Loud bangs, apparently two, were heard by the witnesses. But no striking trail (like Buk launch) was reported by those witnesses. Not only such a report SHOULD NOT be buried, but it should be properly filed with the police in the Netherlands leading the official investigation. Relevant materials can be uploadedonline. Exact location, timing, altitude, speed, and directions would be hard for non-expert to determine. Eyewitness reports appeared credible. There appeared to be several independent but consistent reports pointing to low-flying planes, not a single report.
- Another witness report appeared to be made by rebel leader Bezler, as reported in the SBU intercept posted on youtube and widely discussed. While the posted intercept appeared to consist from glued together independent bits, those individual bits appear to be not denied by the rebels as not being genuine. One bit, where "Bezler" heard saying to "X" that a plane was shot down at Chernukhino , appears to be a single bit which is disconnected from the other parts of the recording. Exact time of this part of intercepted statement cannot be verified from analysis of youtube video , but the video was posted and discussed shortly after the event.
- Netherlands 'has all US information' on MH17: investigator, quoting AFP (other reports quote DW), Mar. 8, 2016. Details on 'information' were not provided.
- "Regarding the debate which still exists over the sharing of information from the United States: all information which is available and which is of interest for the investigation has been shared," said Fred Westerbeke, chief investigator in the criminal investigation.
- He reiterated that they expected this summer to determine the exact location where the missile which downed the Boeing 777 was fired from and the precise model used.
- MH17 Crash time is 16:20, local time (13:20 UTC, 17:20 Moscow time, 09:20 EST). Moscow time is 1 hour ahead of the local time.Burning wreckage video.
- Ukrainian SU 25 shot down. Another SU 25 damaged. Conflicting dating (16 or 17 of July). Footage of shooting may appear inOdessa 1 TV footage, 17 July.
- 17 July, afternoon, 12:00 EST, 20:00 MoscowPresident Obama speaks with President Proshenko.
- 20:30 Moscow time, Kremlin"The Russian leader informed the US President on the report of (Russian) air traffic control services (received right before the telephone conversation) about the crash of the Malaysian plane".
- 21:03 Moscow time. Channel 1, Russia.Opolchenie version that an Ukrainianmilitary planeshot Boeing is reported. First eyewitnesses telling about military planes appear in 22:45 Channel 1 news report (Moscow time)
- Buk version
- Ukrainian Buk reports:TASS, 17 July 19:55 Moscow timeIt is reported that on 16 of July Ukraine brought Buks to Donetsk region.
- Ukrainian Buk sighting:16 July 2014, Evening News, "Час Ч" №129 Program, Ukraine.
- Separatists Buk claim. Voiced by Anton Gerashenko, MoI, Ukraine, on Facebook. Time TBC (but not later than 21:16 Moscow time, when his claim was reported byChannel 1 TV, Russia)
- Separatists Buk sightings: none confirmed.Plume-of-smoke-on-a-sunny-afternoon photo, as well as 'Torez sighting at 12:00 ' photo, appeared in Gerashenko Facebook post on 17 of July.
- 14.10 EST, 22.10 pm MoscowObama briefly speaks about the crash at a pre-planned event (offer of possible assistance, no accusations)
West accuses Russia.
- 17 July,10:38 PM EST. White House Press Release."While we do not yet have all the facts, we do know that this incident occurred in the context of a crisis in Ukraine that is fueled by Russian support for the separatists, including through arms, materiel, and training".
- 20 July, John Kerry interview, CBS news.Secretary of State John Kerry made the rounds on the talk show circuit Sunday confirming the U.S. has "evidence" to conclude that Russia provided separatists in Eastern Ukraine with the weapons used to shoot down the Malaysia Airlines jet.
- MH17 Primer Videos- YouTube channel republishing primary source material
- MH17- YouTube playlist
- 18+ БОИНГ-777. Ужасающие подробности. 29.08.2014 / #MH17- Anna News, August 29, 2014
- With German subtitles:#MH17 Der fliegende Nicht Holländer 18+(The Flying Dutchman, NOT!)
- Спецвыпуск. По следам "Боинга 777". 2 месяца спустя трагедии" #MH17 18.09.2014(In the wake of the Boeing 777 - 2 months after tragedy) - Anna News, 18.09.2014
- At46 minutesthere is a closeup of the cockpit.
- First minutes after crashpublished inKP, 16 November 2014. Villages in attendance, one utters "rocket" (referring to the cause), no further usable audio info.
- MH17 Dutch «forgot» to rescue wreckage with bullet holes - ENG SUBS- TV-News Russian Channel 1, Dec 2, 2014
- Hollannin törkeä salausoperaatio: Luodinreikiä sisältävät lennon MH17 kappaleet jätetty Donetskiin- Verkkomedia.org, 17.12.2014
- В Торезе сбили самолет (In Torez downed plane) - Сергей Сидоренко (Sergei Sidorenko), July 17, 2014
- People in Torez stare at the sky, point to what may be smoke trails. 30 seconds later a dark plume from the crash appears in the horizon.
- 17.07.2014, Торез, ополченцы сбили пассажирский самолет Амстердам - Куала-Лумпур- ДИВАН ОНЛАЙН
- Shows smoke from crash and cloud cover. (source)
- Торез Снежное Появились первые кадры виновника смерти 300 пассажиров гражданского самолета(Mirror :-) - 07.17.2014
- Shows BUK TELAR moving south from Snezhnoye.
- Few minutes before the accident, eyewitnesses saw another (military) plane, Channel 1, Russia, dated 17 July 2014, 22:07 (Moscow) according to the time shown on the web page. Announcer: Few minutes before the accident, eyewitness saw another military plane, according to RIA Novosti reports. And now, Alexandr Evstigneev reports from the scene on the phone. "Representatives from oplochenie confirmed that they found 8 out of 12 on-board recorders, the so-called black boxes.I remind (earlier report, 21:03 Moscow Time)that opolchenie representatives suggested the following hypothesis: a Ukrainian fighter, a SU plane, shot down a passenger plane not near Snezhnoe. After this, this military plane was shot down by opolchenie. It is not known whether the pilot was found, or whether he parachuted to safety. If he is found, he will be a key witness". We see footage of burning wreckage, firefighter at work, passengers' passports, etc.
- Few minutes before the accident, eyewitnesses saw another plane, Channel 1, Russia, dated 17 July 2014, 22:45 (Moscow) according to the time shown on the web page. Footage shows two witnesses, said to be from Grabovo. First, audio recording of a lady, 'Tatiana' , over the phone, from Donetsk region, Ukraine. She heard sound of two planes, than 2 or 3 explosions. When she went outside, she says "one plane was burning behind some trees", another was "flying away" , She than repeats, explaining there were 3 (or 2) explosions in the air (she initially thought it was bombing, but it was not), and than one plane "fell down, and was burning", another flew "to the other side, towards Dnepropetrovsk" . Second witness (video of a male). It starts with "before that, there was some shooting in the air, several shots" , than "a loud bang, as if really close" . Then he saw a plane emerging from the clouds and falling apart. In the clip we are given, he does not explicitly mention a second plane (but this is suggested by 'shooting' prior to 'loud bang'). This appears to be the earliest recorded witness claim. Web page has photos showing smoking wreckage, and a firefighter next to the wreckage.
- 17.07. Anton Gerashenko makes several Facebook posts claiming that MH17 was shot by rebels using Buk.
- (1) He posts acrash video, and claims that the rebels shot the plain using Buk provided by Putin.
- (2) Refutes claims that Ukrainian Buk shot down Boeing. Makes a claim that: at 12:00 a Buk was seen in Torez, arriving from Shaktersk; an hour after that, rebels and equipment sign-posed "Vostok" were seen in Torez; and than one hour prior to the crash more arrived from Snezhnoe and they all departed to Shaktersk
- (3) Posts photo claimed to show 'Buk trail' (the lots-of-sunlight-and-plume photo), which he says "was made several minutes after Buk launch, in the 3 microdistrict of Torez, 'from the West to the East, seen by thousands of people', and claims that " we determined that terrorists were in possession of "Buk" which was documented (зафиксирован) by us in the area of Torez and Snezhoe cities.
- (4)Claims that 'one of the two Buks is located in center of Snezhnoe", while 'Putin calls Obama to report on information from Russian dispatchers
- (5) Posts a photo showing "Buk in Torez"
- Gerashenko is quoted inOdessa 1 TV footageat 21:00 Ukrainian time (22:00 Moscow time), blaming separatists. That is followed by a report on Ukrainian plane shot by a "Russian plane", pilot bailed out an was rescued; exact date/time/place of that event is not provided.
- Russian Channel 1 TV corresponded in Kiev makes her report on the Buk claim, quoting Ukrainian TV channels, dated 17 July 2014, 23:30 (Moscow) according to the time shown on the web page.
- This page was last modified on 8 March 2016, at 10:02.